Mina Morita is the Artistic Director of Crowded Fire Theater.
A celebrated new plays director, she has worked at Berkeley Repertory Theatre, Magic Theatre, Center REPertory Company, American Conservatory Theater, Campo Santo, Shotgun Players, Playwrights Foundation, TheatreFirst, Ferocious Lotus, Bay Area Children’s Theatre, Berkeley Playhouse, and Crowded Fire with such creators as Anna Deavere Smith, Star Finch, J.C. Lee, Christopher Chen, Lauren Gunderson, Philip Kan Gotanda, Young Jean Lee, Idris Goodwin, Susan Soon He Stanton, Lloyd Suh, Dave Harris, Amelia Roper, Adam Chanzit, Sean San Jose, Min Kahng, Wes Nisker, and Dustin Chinn. She is a recipient of Theatre Bay Area’s [TBA] Outstanding Direction of a Musical in 2014 and nominated by TBA for Outstanding Direction of a Play in 2017, as well as Shellie Awards Best Director in 2018.
Previously, she served as the Artistic Associate at Berkeley Repertory Theatre and its center for the creation and development of new work, The Ground Floor. She has also served as Board President of Shotgun Players; as a 2014 Lincoln Center Director’s Lab participant; as one of the founding members of Bay Area Children’s Theatre; as panelist with the Zellerbach Family Foundation, San Francisco Arts Commission, and Hewlett Foundation; panelist for the Getty Leadership Summit; lead facilitator for the Lotus Playwriting Retreat with Playwriting Australia; and Guest Artist at UC Berkeley and Stanford University. In 2016, TBA awarded her the 40@40 distinction for her impact on Bay Area Theater. In 2015, Mina was honored to share her story on TEDx, and in 2016, she was chosen as one of the YBCA100, for “asking questions and making provocations that will shape the future of culture.”
- Wired Magazine
- Stage Directors and Choreographers Foundation Podcast
- Breaking Down the Gates: A Conversation About Curation and Inclusion in the Arts
- Arts & Ideas at the JCCSF (Conversation with Mina Morita and Young Jean Lee)
- Addressing Anti-Blackness in Non-Black Communities of Color (video to be posted)
- Decolonizing New Play Development
- Mina Morita to speak at 2015 TEDx
- Mina Morita to succeed Marissa Wolf as Crowded Fire’s Artistic Director American Theater Magazine, February 2015
- Crowded Fire Theater announces Mina Morita as new artistic director
- “Keep an Eye On: Mina Morita, Director” Theatre Bay Area Magazine, October 2011
Photos by Cheshire Isaacs / Cheshiredave Creative